Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You work for boss man at 8:00.

Yay! I made it to Korea!

The flight went really well, though it did take sometime to find the person who was supposed to pick me up...when I did find him I was really, really excited. I started waving my arms around and he finally realized I was the person whose name was on the sign he put a hand up as well to acknowledge that he saw me and, so, I did what seemed most appropriate...and gave him a high five.  Not too sure what the Korea culture thinks of the high five though...

Anyway, we were on our way to his car and he says to me, "You work for boss man at 8:00". I was hoping it was a miscommunication and, luckily, it was.  He drove me to a bus terminal where I then boarded a bus to my city, Seosan (pronounced So-San...oops).  After sleeping on the bus for a little over an hour I was there, and with the help of a nice lady on the bus who could not understand a word of what I was saying I even got off at the right stop!  Immediately my boss, Mr. Choi (pronounced che...again...oops) picked me up and brought me to my apartment so I could rest a little more and shower before he would come back to bring me to the school three hours later.

After surveying my new digs (all 300 sq. ft) I realized I needed some things, so I went on my first big adventure in my new surroundings to get toilet paper, something to drink and something to eat, below are the results:

 I have no idea if that yellow bottle is cleaning stuff or not, but that's what I used it for.  The toilet paper said happy clean on it, so I knew that would be perfect, the can was some really tasty apple drink and the green box was vegetable crackers, all very delightful!

My director came back at noon to bring me to my school where he showed me around, introduced me to the other teachers and gave me a lot to read, I really wish I could take it out of the school and let people read it, the translation, rules, and wording are hilarious.  I also had my first authentic Korean meal and it was pretty good, I am still a little leery of the food but I will try it anyway.

The rest of the day wasn't too exciting, I already fell and was relieved when only one person was around, until I walked past my boss and he asked me if I was ok...there are cameras in the school because parents like to observe our teaching, so he saw the whole thing.  I also went to the hospital to get some tests done so I can get my alien card, once I have that I will be able to get internet and a cell phone!  Another teacher showed me to a market near my apartment so I picked up a few more things and saw some really awesome signs on my walk back to my apartment:



I am not really sure what a Chicky Ducky is, perhaps it is Korea's version of the turducken, or why that duck is holding a big slab of beef...but I found it quite humorous and felt it would be worth sharing.

Yesterday I observed several classes where I discovered I will be known as Amy teacher for the next year...awesome!  The kids are adorable and so funny, I am going to have a hard time keeping a straight face with these little devils.  After being introduced as Amy teacher to one of the classes they then decided to make everything a teacher, ex: pencil teacher, chair teacher, eraser teacher, then they were making students teachers and finally I ended up as Rapunzel teacher...not sure where that came from.

The end of the day I spent preparing for today because I am going to be teaching! I am a little nervous, but I think it will be fun.  On my way home I picked up some take out, and it was delicious.



They give you enough food to feed an entire family, plus they gave me a little cooler thing which was really nice!  As far as I am concerned I ordered chicken, at least that is what the box said...I walked into the place and the girl at the register smiled, showed me the menu and made the first thing I pointed at.  A lot of my interactions are just smiling and exchanging money, but everyone has been very friendly which  has made this transition much easier.

I haven't really hung out with the other teachers yet, the past two nights I was exhausted, though I think I am finally over the jet lag, I woke up at 6:15am on my own this morning, which gave me time to blog before I went to work!

I am sure there is more that I could have said, but I think this is a good start.  Hopefully my adventures will continue to get more exciting and i'll try to keep this as up to date as possible!

Soon I will post pictures of my apartment, even though I am going to be moving within the next week; I will also be posting pictures of the signs around here, they are hilarious!

Keep it real, and feel free to comment or ask questions!

4 comments:

  1. You are kicking ass already! Nice. Please learn how to say chicken before I come there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! sorry I missed the post you left on my blog. I see you work at SLP? There is a great chance to meet a lot of foreigners tonight because my band is putting on a concert. maybe someone from SLP is going or you can give me a call at 010 8329 3577 if you get a chance. you should definitely come! the show is at 10:00.

    Welcome to korea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad, not a problem, thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, I am without a cell phone or internet, I am just using Hollys Coffee's internet for now so I'm not sure how to get the address, I do think a few teachers from my school are going but, again, the no cell phone thing kind of gets in the way...If you get this and would want to send me the address that would be great, otherwise good luck at your show and thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete