Friday, June 24, 2011

Korean Shopping.

My word, it certainly is an experience.

I was about to head back to my apartment after wandering around and going into shops and making a few purchases, but when I saw a wifi sign in a coffee shop window I couldn't help but share this experience (I still have no internet in my apartment so these thoughts would just be swirling through my head with no outlet until morning, when I am sure to venture again in search of free wifi).

My first Korea shopping adventure was last night when I wandered in to some beauty stores in search of face wash, nail clippers, and the like.  All of the stores that I went into were modeled almost exactly like Sephora (a super snazzy cosmetic store in the U.S.), the set up, bright lights, the attire of the employees, all or it!  From the moment I walked in until I left I was the center of attention, almost celebrity-esque...and no, I was not the only person in the store.  There were several occasions where no matter which direction I turned I would inevitably run into an employee.  Any item that I picked up resulted in 20 more of the same but either a different brand or color being brought to me and when I walked away they moved right along with me. Finally, after making my purchases I was loaded up with goodies, I now have several face masks, tons of moisturizer samples and even a cream wash to make my skin whiter...not sure if I will be trying out the last one.

Next, clothes.
Ok, I am fully aware that I am not a tiny woman, but I am by no means obese either, apparently it is not just my nationality but my curves that are also foreign to this country.  Every time I make a purchase they ask in very broken English if I have the right size or if it will fit me, if I put something down they immediately grab the next size up and bring it over to me.  Ouch.  One sales woman also explained to me that we are bigger in America, thanks.  This woman, I might add, was at least my size if not bigger. I then found a nice pair of jeans and decided to try them on, though not without being asked several times if they would be the right size, which they were, but that is not the point.  I go into the dressing room, room being the misleading part of the description.  I stepped in and well, that was it (I will post a picture later), not only was I trying on new jeans in humid weather but I had no room to move! It is a good thing they did fit because I wouldn't have had much room to wiggle in or out of them had they not...I am hoping to coin a phrase about this, something along the lines of trying on new pair of pants on a humid day in a Korean dressing room. Example: "Amy, how was that marathon you just completed in 2 hours and 36 minutes," "Well, friend, it was nothing compared to trying on a new pair of pants on a humid day in a Korean dressing room." ...so it needs some work, but you get the point.

I also bought a hair dryer and will be picking up a straightener! Between writing things down, picking up items in the beauty salon and smiling awkwardly, I think I got what I wanted and maybe even made some friends with the beauty salon ladies, but we'll see.

Well, the coffee shop is about to close...more to come in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment