Saturday, July 9, 2011

the fourth of July, mountain climbing, and other assorted things.

On Monday I walked into work and one of my coworkers told me she was going to look into getting some fireworks for that night...I thought that was cool, but what was the occasion?  Oh, it was the fourth of July...oops.  So we celebrated!  First, we grilled on the roof of our apartment building, I was surprised at how tasty the brats were! 



This is Cassie and Sabrina, they work at my school and live in my building!


Not too bad of a spread!

After grilling we went to the roof of another teacher's apartment, there was a great view and some pretty awesome fire works!






Cassie and I were the only Americans present of the seven of us there, but it was certainly a lovely celebration!

That night I also discovered a giant hill (it's a mountain if you ask me) with a lookout tower on it!  I climbed it the next day and it was pretty cool!  Once you get to the top there is all sorts of exercise equipment and different paths, getting to the top is a bit of a workout, not too bad though, and then you can workout a little more once you're up there!

here are a few pictures of the views and the equipment:









I really dig this place and will probably venture up there often!

I was also fortunate enough to purchase and taste the worst ice cream in the world.  Seriously, it was terrible.  It was a cold rice and milk something, I guess I'm glad I tried it, but I will never EVER have it again.



I've also met a lot of the other foreigners who live in Seosan!  They all seem like some pretty cool people.  I had a social gathering of sorts at my apartment on Friday and there was quite the turn out! The Korean police even came to let me know how awesome of a party I was having, it was a stellar event.

Last night I ventured out a little and experienced some of the Korean night life, it wasn't anything too crazy but it was a good time.  There is a bar called Halloween Bar that seems kind of intriguing, and the area where the bars are are kind of looks like Vegas.  There are neon lights and flashing signs EVERYWHERE. It is pretty intense.  

My students are surprising me everyday with the things they say.  The other day in class we were reading Frog and Toad and talking about best friends.  I asked my students if they had any best friends and one of my students said, "Yes, Solomon (another boy in my class) is my best friend, and I will walk through fire with him."  My students asked me if I had any best friends, I told them that I do and they asked me who they were.  First I told them that my sisters were two of my best friends Rachel, a girl in my class,  said to me, "No Amy Teacher, they are your sisters, your sisters can't be your best friend."

That's all for now.  Not too sure what will be going on this upcoming week, but I am going to the Korean Mud Festival this coming weekend and I am ridiculously excited for it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment