Wednesday, January 4, 2012

so, I went on a little vacation.

and it was wonderful!

Singapore is such a wonderful country!  It is absolutely gorgeous, the people are wonderful and there is so much culture and variety.

Holly, who is one of my closest friends here, and I left Seosan around noon on Christmas Eve and got to the airport four hours before our flight took off, a little earlier than we would have liked but we did get to catch a K-pop (Korean Pop) performance of Grease!



It was, well, not quite the Grease I am used to, but entertaining nonetheless!

Once we got on the plane we were only in the air for about two hours to our first layover in Bejing.  Language barriers made security interesting, as they could not fully understand what my insulin pump was or why I would be carrying juice with me, but after that was over we found an airport lounge and had a few drinks. 


The first was probably one of the worst bloody marys I have ever had...oh well!


Next was a beer, with flavor!


Here is the lounge, it really didn't look that cool, but the flash on my camera makes it look much more appealing than it really was.

Next, we were on our way to Singapore, a few short naps and six hours later we were there!  We arrived at 5:30 am, and after getting our baggage and going through customs we were starving and thought it was about time for some Christmas morning Quizno's breakfast! While under most circumstances this would not be my first choice for breakfast but I had not had Quizno's in about 6 months, nor have I had any ranch dressing, the combination of the two made for a picture worthy breakfast!



It was sooooooooo good.

Once that was devoured we started heading towards our hostel, at 6:30 in the morning, 8 hours before check in. My first call to the hostel was not answered so we hung out at a nearby McDonalds and got some coffee to try and stay awake.  


Now I knew Sinapore had a lot of rules, but I thought not being able to study in McDonalds was a little silly.

I was finally able to get ahold of our hostel around 7:45, we went there to drop off our stuff but still couldn't check in for several hours so we went for a Christmas morning adventure to the Sea!  This led to finding more funny rules and some other very lovely pictures!











It was cloudy, but about 75 or 80 degrees, certainly the warmest Christmas I have ever had, I even put my feet in the water and it felt so nice!

After we wandered around for a while and grabbed lunch we went back to the hostel where we were allowed to shower and nap until our beds were ready, it was so wonderful!  After resting we hopped on the bus and checked out a nearby market for a few hours.  The first I thing I noticed is that there was English EVERYWHERE! It was so exciting! Not only could I read every sign, but I could understand it.  


No worries, Santa came to Singapore too! (Holly and I in the market)

After the market we went back to the hostel and went out for Christmas dinner, it wasn't quite your standard Christmas meal, but it was certainly delicious!


I had a green mango salad.


Holly had some curry.  Both were delicious!

Once dinner was over we hung out for a bit at the establishment below our hostel which, conveniently, is owned by the same man so we got a discount there during our stay!  We ended up talking with a guy who was staying at our hostel who happened to be a member of the Phillipines Olympic team, he was a really cool guy and had some pretty awesome stories to share!

The next day we went to the beach to try and get a tan, unfortunately the combination of spf 50 and cloudy skies left us just as pasty as when we set out that morning, but it was still a lovely day! 

The rest of the trip all kind of blends together.  One day we met up with my friend from Singapore who I met on my trip to Busan, and the other days we wandered around different areas of town, Chinatown, Little India, Hollan Village, and downtown were all included.  We got super cheap foot massages, found some lovely shops to buy a few dresses at, and enjoyed some really tasty food and beverages!  The last thing of note was our last evening when we went on the Singapore flyer, it is a giant ferris wheel that gives you a spectacular view of Singapore!  

We left at 12:15 New Years day so, unfortunately, there were no New Years celebrations for us.  We returned without any hassle and very exhausted, I think I am just now caught up on sleep.  Here are the pictures, enjoy!









































I hope your holidays were wonderful as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment